Saturday, December 31, 2016

good bye 2016. hello flourishing 2017

Hello virtual memory. I thought I should spend some time with you on this last day of 2016. I have not spent much time with you this year... But I would like to remember life a little more, so here goes.





2016 felt like a year of labor. Very very hard labor. I spent most of time trying to write. Or trying to be thankful about the opportunity given to writing.


Of course, there have been also lots of meet ups. Where I try to stay connected with the real world too.. I am grateful that I have friends here in Brussels who feel familial. Maybe they won't ever replace my main tribe of people, but I know that we have each other's back for this season of our lives. 

Somedays, I wonder how on earth did I think it was a good idea to do my life in all its glorious drama (both in my brain and out) And how I regret being so far away.... and I get bitter, grumpy and ugly... I am reminded though that resentment is not from God. Godliness with contentment is. In this season, I pray for grace and discipline to understand what this means. 

In the past months, I felt like I gained a better understanding of this verse "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves."(Mat 10:16) It is not enough to just play the nice card. there is the need to articulate and to defend/fight for what one believes in. In fighting, there is strive, there is tension. In this tension, it is difficult to be content... 

I am also struggling with what's next. Need life to move on. Need to find a job please God. Need to be done writing too. Need to remember that God remains good. And with that in my mind, to remember to flourish. On that note, I want to remember to remember the character of God. Bring on 2017. In this new year, I ask for more grace to face this new year, that God intends for us to have life. to flourish. 





No comments: